Welcome!


If you found Building Peace through my fiction writing, welcome! I encourage you to explore this blog, which in addition to my writing chronicles my ongoing education as a military officer and Middle East Regional Affairs Specialist. You can also check out my Amazon.com Author page and subscribe to my mailing list for announcements about my fiction writing.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Building peace... in AfPak

It's amazing how fast life can change.  Two days ago I thought I knew where my life was headed.  I was wrapping up a flying deployment and looking forward to a happy reunion with my family.  After that would come another year of flying and office work at my C-17 base, followed by efforts to get my dream assignments: a strategic education at SAASS, then (hopefully!) a job as a country desk officer at the JCS or CENTCOM.  I would keep up my Arabic and keep learning Turkish, preparing myself for leadership in an ever-tumultuous Middle East.

Then the e-mail arrived.

Completely out of the blue, I've been requested for the Afpak Hands program.  Details are sketchy at this point, but I expect to PCS this winter, then spent four months or so studying counterinsurgency and learning Pashto, Dari, or Urdu.  Next summer I will deploy to Kabul for a year, then return to the U.S. for another year of study, then deploy again for a year.

I'm still in complete shock, because I never imagined this is what I would be doing.  It's ironic, because I have devoted my life to serving American national security, but I never imagined that would happen in Afghanistan or Pakistan.  I simply saw no way that my career trajectory would intersect with those countries.  In fact, several years ago I made a deliberate choice not to spend too much time learning about Afpak; thousands of other military officers were doing that, and I figured I could better invest my time and energy in learning about less-studied regions like the Levant.  I was preparing for future conflicts, not this one.  And now, suddenly, I have discovered that this is my war after all.  I have a lot of catching up to do.

I will obviously share more details as they arrive.  Also, I should mention right now that I'm not sure about my blog's future.  I am excited about this new journey, and I know that I will have so much to share, but I also know that this job might require a reduced online presence.   We'll see!

No comments: