Welcome!


If you found Building Peace through my fiction writing, welcome! I encourage you to explore this blog, which in addition to my writing chronicles my ongoing education as a military officer and Middle East Regional Affairs Specialist. You can also check out my Amazon.com Author page and subscribe to my mailing list for announcements about my fiction writing.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Strategist's Questions

The more I study strategy, the more I'm impressed by two things: (1) the simplicity of enduring strategic principles and (2) our all-too-frequent disregard for those simple principles.  This became especially apparent to me when I read Colin Gray's excellent book Fighting Talk: Forty Maxims on War, Peace, and Strategy, which by Gray's own admission is little more than common sense--yet would be revolutionary if we consistently practiced it.

For those who don't have time to read Gray's new article about COIN and strategic theory, I particularly liked this simple list of questions that strategists should always be asking: 


- What is it all about? What are the political stakes, and how much do they matter to us?
- So what? What will be the strategic effect of the sundry characters of behavior that we 
choose to conduct?
- Is the strategy selected tailored well enough to meet our political objectives?
- What are the probable limits of our (military) power as a basket of complementary agencies to influence and endeavor to control the enemy’s will?
- How could the enemy strive to thwart us?
- What are our alternative courses of action/inaction? What are their prospective costs 
and benefits?
- How robust is our home front?
- Does the strategy we prefer today draw prudently and honestly upon the strategic education that history can provide?
- What have we overlooked?


No comments: