Welcome!


If you found Building Peace through my fiction writing, welcome! I encourage you to explore this blog, which in addition to my writing chronicles my ongoing education as a military officer and Middle East Regional Affairs Specialist. You can also check out my Amazon.com Author page and subscribe to my mailing list for announcements about my fiction writing.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Bureaucracy

If you get frustrated with bureaucracy in the US, I have a guaranteed cure that will teach you to appreciate what you have: spend a day dealing with bureaucracy in the Middle East.

I am trying to switch my studies from a Master's degree program taught in English to a degree taught entirely in Arabic.  There is a prerequisite that students have a bachelor's degree in International Relations.  My problem?  I have a master's in the subject.  My bachelor's is in engineering.

"I'm sorry," one University bureaucrat told me when I tried switching last semester.  "You don't meet the qualifications."

I spent several weeks trying to find a solution and ran out of time before the semester started.  Now I'm trying again.  I was excited to discover that I could handle the switch through an entirely different office.  Surely, I thought, most people would have more common sense than the bureaucrat who turned me down before.  Nope.  I was once again informed that my master's degree does not meet the requirement of a bachelor's degree in the subject.

These are the times I just want to give up... but I suppose that if I ever expect to handle multinational, coalition planning and operations, learning to fight these battles is an essential skill.

No comments: